I am an experienced technical writer with a background in training software developers. I specialise in API documentation.
- Technical Writer
- Sep 2018 - Present · Vonage
Vonage provides communication APIs (including SMS, Voice, Video and social messaging channels). I work as part of the Developer Relations team. My responsibilities include creating/maintaining API reference documentation and writing courseware, tutorials, blog posts and other educational content.
- Compiling API reference documentation using OpenAPI/Swagger 3 and tools like Git, Speccy and Postman
- Building and documenting demo applications and code samples using Node.js, Python, PHP, Ruby and Java
- Designed and helped implement a new feedback mechanism for our developer documentation, which greatly increased the quantity and quality of feedback
- Developed and delivered an accredited training program on using Vonage APIs for partner developers
- Created an introductory course on OpenAPI to increase awareness and adoption internally
- MySQL Curriculum Developer
- Jan 2013 - Sep 2018 · Oracle
Designing and developing the MySQL training curriculum for Oracle University.
- Researched new product features, often complex and undocumented
- Created courseware for in-person and virtual delivery
- Built hands-on labs and practical exercises in Linux virtual environments
- Led “train the trainer” sessions to familiarise instructors with new material
- Developed complementary learning resources including blog posts and video training
- Freelance Technical Writer/Trainer
- Nov 2012 Sep 2016 · Apps With Maps Ltd
Worked as a freelance technical writer and trainer, with a focus on web mapping/GIS.
- Used a mixture of ESRI and Open source web mapping technologies as part of training development/delivery and consultancy projects
- Delivered classroom-based and instructor-led virtual training courses for ArcGIS Server developers
- Wrote and recorded the Pluralsight Google Maps API: Get Started course (taken by over 10,000 students and rated 4.5/5.0 stars by 250+ users)
- Wrote the books Leaflet.js Succinctly, Go Succinctly, and Go Web Development Succinctly in SyncFusion’s Succinctly series.
- Trainer/Course Author
- Apr 2007 - Oct 2012 · Esri UK Ltd
Developing and delivering training for GIS developers.
- Created a curriculum suitable for both classroom and instructor-led virtual training of developers
- Led workshops and seminars to highlight specific capabilities of ESRI’s geospatial SDKs and APIs
2021. SyncFusion. Deno Succinctly. .
2018. SyncFusion. Google Maps API Succinctly. .
2017. SyncFusion. Go Web Development Succinctly. .
2017. SyncFusion. Go Succinctly. .
2016. SyncFusion. Leaflet.js Succinctly. .
2004. Computer Step. Access 2003 in Easy Steps. .
2018 - Present. Vonage. learn.vonage.com. .
2013 - 2018. Oracle. blogs.oracle.com. .
2013 - 2018. Make Tech Easier. maketecheasier.com. .
2012 - 2017. Geospatial Training Services. geospatialtraining.com. .
2014. Pluralsight. Google Maps API: Get Started. .
Ruby, Java, PHP, .NET
- Amateur dramatics
- Reading (sci-fi/fantasy/thrillers, popular science, business and technology)
- Creative writing